Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Central Saint Martins summer workshop

I thought I'd go along to a week long summer course run by the prestigious Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design back in July. It was mostly a refresher for me in techniques such as mono drawing and mono painting. What I really wanted to learn about was the tutor's image transfer techniques.
That is one thing that has always frustrated me; you have a lovely idea for a nice big canvas but your source material is much smaller. OK, you can scan/photocopy it to a larger size but how do you then get that on to a large canvas?
The technique we were shown (using a liquid called Quickoff) wouldn't really solve this - it can't really be applied in one go across a large area, instead you have to transfer the image an area at a time. For me this led to issues of paper movement and inconsistency of transfer; either too much or too little.
Shown here are some of my designs using this technique, let me know what you think!





No comments:

Post a Comment